Vote for Oregon22 as best professional sports event of the year2 min read
from TrackTown USA
The World Athletics Championships Oregon22 have been nominated for Best Professional Sports Event of the Year by the SportsTravel Awards and voting is now open! Make sure to cast your vote for the first world championships on U.S. soil.
Here are just a few highlights of how amazing the event was:
- Highest worldwide television ratings ever
- 29 member federations with at least one gold medal
- 3 world records broken
- 33 medals for the host county – the most ever
- 146,000 tickets sold
- 1,583 volunteers
- 8,000+ youth participated in the World Wide Welcome
Voters are encouraged to use the following criteria to select the Best Sports Event:
- The organization of the event or event series was superior.
- The event or event series provided a superior experience for the competitors and/or the spectators in the competition and/or in ancillary events.
- The site(s) or venue(s) of the event or event series enhanced the event or series.
- The event or event series generated increased attendance and/or sponsorship.
- The event or event series generated increased ratings or streaming viewership.
Voters are asked to select the best in three categories: Best Professional Event of the Year; Best Amateur Sports Event; and Best Amateur, Collegiate and Professional Event of the Year.
The five nominees for Best Amateur Sports Event: 2021 Gay Softball World Series (Columbus, Ohio); 2021 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships (Milwaukee, Wisconsin); 2022 IIHF U18 Women’s World Hockey Championships (Madison, Wisconsin); 2022 TFN Run 4 Roses (Louisville, Kentucky); and 2022 World Games (Birmingham, Alabama).
The five nominees for Best Amateur, Collegiate and Professional Event of the Year: 2021 Duke’s Mayo Classic (Charlotte, North Carolina); 2022 College Football Playoff Championship (Indianapolis, Indiana); 2022 MEAC Indoor Track & Field Championships (Virginia Beach, Virginia); 2022 NCAA Women’s College World Series (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma); 2022 NJCAA Division I Basketball Championship (Hutchinson, Kansas).
The five nominees for Best Professional Sports Event of the Year: 2021 WNBA Finals (Chicago, Illinois, and Phoenix, Arizona); 2022 Apex Legends Global Series Championship (Raleigh, North Carolina); 2022 Billie Jean King Cup (Asheville, North Carolina); 2022 NFL Super Bowl LVI (Los Angeles, California); and 2022 World Athletics Championships (Eugene, Oregon).
The deadline for voting is Friday, September 9, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. PDT.