from the Eugene Police Department
Shortly before 2 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 9, three males were observed wearing gloves and masks in the downtown area and at least one male was observed with a handgun. Soon, there were nine individuals with masks and gloves on, and multiple handguns were observed. EPD deployed patrol units to attempt contact with the armed subjects to prevent what could potentially be a shooting incident.
When the individuals became aware of police in the area, they ran in all directions with officers giving chase on foot and in patrol vehicles. Multiple subjects were detained, with multiple handguns located. Another group of three additional armed subjects were observed in a parking garage.
One suspect raised his shirt when security illuminated him, displaying a firearm in his waistband. EPD units responded and located several firearms, including one stolen handgun.
In total, EPD units located six firearms from two different groups of people.
It is believed the two groups of people were searching for each other and were only blocks away when police intervened. Investigators believe police intervention may have prevented a potentially dangerous conflict that could have endangered the involved people as well as residents and visitors to the area.
It was a chaotic scene but officers remained calm throughout the dynamic incidents.
- Dejuan Debrail Stevens, age 23, Eugene: Criminal Trespass in the Second Degree, Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- Mason Everett Wood, age 21, Eugene: Possession of Cocaine Greater than Two Grams
- Isaac Skyler Floyd, age 18, Veneta: Carrying a Concealed Weapon, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon
- Dominique Davis, age 21, Eugene: Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- Xavier Isaiah Mills, age 24, Carry Concealed Weapon
Eugene Police staffed extra patrol units and the Street Crimes Unit as part of a program to help address issues with violence downtown. Over the last year, the downtown core has seen an increase in gun violence.