from Pat Walsh, Lane Transit District
LTD, like many other transit districts nationwide, is experiencing a bus operator shortage which impacts our ability to provide the quality of service upon which our community relies.
In order to balance the health and well-being of our operators while continuing to provide quality service to our community, LTD has made the difficult decision to scale back service.
Beginning Feb. 5, 2023, LTD will reduce weekday service on seven routes, adjust timepoints on five routes, and adjust EmX schedules. EmX system service will generally shift from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes, though afternoon trips will be added between Eugene and Springfield stations.
We understand that when bus service is reduced or adjusted, the change impacts our passengers’ travel plans. These service changes are necessary due to changing ridership demands and a consistent need to increase operational efficiency, financially and from a human resources perspective.
LTD passenger boardings are at 70% of pre-pandemic levels and with many open job positions at LTD, service levels cannot stay the same.
LTD is actively recruiting for new bus operators and to fill other positions. Until positions are filled, LTD can only provide the level of service it is staffed to deliver.
The following weekday service changes take effect the week of Feb. 5, 2023:
- 11 Thurston: Change all timepoints
- 17 5th/Hayden Bridge: Add 7:21 a.m. and 8:25 a.m. trips to help students get to school
- 18 Mohawk: Adjust timepoints on the 10:34 a.m. trip
- 24 Donald: Remove 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. trips
- 28 Hilyard: Remove 9 a.m., 12 p.m., and 1 p.m. trips
- 36 West 18th: Remove 12 p.m. trip
- 40 Echo Hollow: Remove 9:50 a.m. and 2 p.m. trips
- 41 Barger/Commerce: Remove 5:15 p.m. trip
- 55 North Park: Remove 5:15 p.m. trip
- 67 Coburg/VRC: Adjust timepoints from 6:30 a.m. through 10 a.m.
- 82 LCC/Pearl: Remove 7 a.m., 12:05 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 4:20 p.m., 5:05 p.m., and 5:50 p.m. trips
- 93 Veneta: Adjust timepoint on the 6:45 a.m. trip to 6:46 a.m.
- EmX: Change timepoints starting around 9 a.m., shifting from trips every 10 minutes to trips every 15 minutes, until 9 p.m. where it will be every 30 minutes. Add extra trips from 1:44 p.m. to 4:50 p.m. from Eugene Station to Springfield Station; add extra trips from 2:43 p.m. to 5:50 p.m. from Springfield Station to Eugene Station.
Three routes continue to be suspended indefinitely:
- 27 Fairmount: Continue no service until further notice
- 73 UO/Willamette: Continue no service until further notice
- 78 UO/Seneca/Warren: Continue no service until further notice
While this is disappointing for all of us, LTD is working hard to recruit and train bus operators so that we can increase service throughout the District. If you or someone you know is interested in becoming an LTD bus operator, apply online: LTD.org/careers/.
Lane Transit District (LTD) is a special district of the State of Oregon led by a seven-member volunteer board of directors appointed by Oregon’s governor. Three new members join the board this month: Heather Murphy, Subdistrict 3 – Southeast Eugene/Cottage Grove; Kelly Sutherland, Subdistrict 4 – Northeast Eugene; and Lawrence Green, Subdistrict 6 – West Eugene.
LTD’s budget is funded through a combination of fares, taxes paid by local employers and employees, and from state and federal sources. LTD lives its mission to connect our community by delivering more than 5 million annual passenger boardings from 30 fixed bus routes and two EmX Bus Rapid Transit lines. LTD’s paratransit service, RideSource, provides more than 250,000 trips annually for people with disabilities and Medicaid recipients. More information about LTD is at www.LTD.org.