Free course for citizen journalists2 min read
Join the Daily Emerald for a free workshop series teaching the skills you need to be a citizen journalist. No experience is required.
Learn from the Daily Emerald staff, University professors, Ethos Magazine and the National Association of Black Journalists about media literacy, finding stories, conducting interviews, multimedia reporting, and more.
Sign up for the workshop series here: https://www.dailyemerald.com/workshop/
Five 90-minute in-person sessions will be offered in 195 Anstett Hall on the University of Oregon campus March 30, April 13, April 27, May 11, and May 25 (optional) from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- March 30, 2022, 6:00 p.m.: Session 1: Introduction to journalism. What is journalism and why is it important? Taught by Emerald Community Engagement Coordinator Nika Bartoo-Smith and Opinion editor Francis O’Leary. Session 2: Story identification. What makes something newsworthy? Instructor: Emerald Editor in Chief Sarah-Mae McCullough
- April 13, 2022, 6:00 p.m.: Session 1: Interviews. Identifying sources, researching and asking the right questions. Instructors: Emerald A&C editor Grace Murray and News editor Duncan Baumgarten. Session 2: Outlining and writing. Organizing information for understanding. Instructors: Emerald A&C editor Grace Murray and Ethos Editor in Chief Anna Mattson.
- April 27, 2022, 6:00 p.m.: Session 1: Editing. Proofreading and peer-editing.
Instructor: Emerald Editor in Chief Sarah-Mae McCullough and copy chief Amanda Lurey.
- May 11, 2022, 6:00 p.m.: Session 1: Multimedia reporting. Reporting for podcast, video and photo. Instructors: Emerald Multimedia editor Meaghan FitzPatrick and National Association of Black Journalists. Session 2: Event reporting: How to cover events — from protests to sports games — as they unfold. Instructor: UO SOJC professor Lori Shontz.
- May 25, 2022, 6:00 p.m.: Optional Session: Resume building. All-purpose resume building workshop. Instructor: UO Career Center staff.
For more, contact The Daily Emerald. https://www.dailyemerald.com/