by Dan Isaacson, River Road Community Organization
Tony Curtis Lockhart was struck and killed by a vehicle Jan. 1, 2021, while crossing River Road from Ecco Apartments to go shopping at Dari Mart in the vicinity of Hatton Avenue.
This tragedy spurred the RRCO board to request that a Rectangular Rapid Flash Beacon (RRFB) or stutter flash be installed for pedestrians and bicyclists crossing River Road in that area.
City transportation planners agreed and acquired state funding to design and install the beacon last construction season, but the season closed just before they could do the installation. But now the beacon is in place.
Thanks to all who made this possible.
See the RRCO August Community Newsletter for details about:
- Aug. 14 meeting with Ward 7 Councilor Lyndsie Leech and EWEB Commissioner Sonya Carlson
- RRCO wants to help promote your small businesses with drones and video
- Needs for the Sept. 9 River Celebration; planning committee schedule
- Inner Limits (Rock/Funk) plays live music Thursday Aug. 10 at Emerald Park
- NAACP garden work parties Monday and Wednesday mornings
For the latest, check the News tab on the River Road Community Organization website.